Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I'm baaack with my first food post: Enchiladas!!

I know what you're thinking. This is a makeup blog. Well it was until now and let me also correct you in that this is a blog of the stuff that I created. Granted up until now I've only posted makeup looks but that all changes right now! Enchiladas are stuff and I created them. If I decide to not do this consistently at least I will not have abandoned another blog.

This is my parent's recipe. I could do without the chile con carne and use red (or even green) chile sauce instead but since I cook for them also I do it their way.

Cheese Enchiladas with Chile con Carne

13 Corn Tortillas (I use white because I think they are prettier but either is fine)*
1 small to medium tomato (Diced)
1 small onion (Diced)
12 oz Cheese (Colby or Colby/Jack/Cheddar blend)
approx 4 Tbs oil (I use Coconut because it is better for you but vegetable, corn or canola is fine)
Chili Powder

Yields 1 dozen enchiladas
Starstruck ingredients looking for fame in the big city

Add the oil in a small skillet over medium low (low if using coconut oil to melt, then turn up to medium-low). Add Chile powder to color, I'm honestly not sure how much but if I had to guess around 1 tsp.
It should look something like this

Now add a tortilla. We want to get them soft enough to roll but not so soft they tear. Once the oil is warm enough around 10 seconds on each side should suffice. My mom always flipped them with her hands. I can but I have tongs so I use them.
Big Stack of tortillas

Now we assemble. Put a tortilla on a plate flat sprinkle cheese, a bit each of the tomato and onion. (Very exact measurements as you can see). Not too full though, you have to roll it up.

Ready to roll

Now fold about 3/4 of the way and pull back so the filling is tight, then tuck the overlap under. The picture will explain better than I can.

Like so.

Add a spoonful or two of the chili to the bottom of the casserole. Spread it around. This seems to help prevent sticking and hardening of the tortillas. Place them in a casserole dish seam side down so they won't flap open. I use pyrex but any is fine.
Naked enchiladas ready for their close-up. No shame.

Add a can of chili, I make a great bowl of chili from scratch but this is not the place for it. Wolf brand works great, vile canned stuff it is. Add the remaining tomatoes, cheese and a handful of onions. I didn't tell you to save some? Well do that, ok?

All dressed up!

Cover with foil and cook for 20-25 minutes at 350 and then uncover and cook for additional 10-15. Eat.

Nom.

No plated pics. I need to get the idea of take out of the oven, take a pic and then eat. I usually go straight to eat. The whole standing around and taking pictures seems counter-intuitive.

*13 tortillas yield one dozen and a raw one for the cook

No comments:

Post a Comment